Cloud computing is a type of computing that specializes in sharing, borrowing and demanding resources on one platform where many users can log in to and make use of it. No different from a public library or an auditorium in the city center used by various people for booking.
Also known as on-demand computing and simply the “cloud” it allows its users ingress to storage, virtual servers providing access to various desktop applications. Cloud computing relies on the providing means of sharing data rather than storing or handling it on its own.
There are 3 flavors and business models of cloud computing:
- SaaS (Software as a Service): It stands for software as a service and it provides hosting brought from someone provided to someone else the cloud playing the role of a third party that is only responsible for making the 2 main parties meet i.e. the customer and the service provider.
- PaaS (Platform as a Service): Platform as a service just like SaaS that serves as a portal for you to use an operating system that has again been provided not by the cloud itself but another party who offers it OS at a price. You can then use applications without having to go through lengthy downloads and laboring your memory with extra applications.
- IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service): Infrastructure as a service as the name indicates focuses on the shareware or the sharing of hardware facilities over a network. It also includes taking advantage of services like storage, components used in networking and usage of different servers.
There are two models to deliver cloud computing:
- Cloud computing service models
- Cloud computing deployment models.
What are the top three Cloud Computing providers for the 3 service models and their strengths?
The leading companies that provide the best cloud computing service are Amazon, Microsoft and IBM. Let us look at what their strengths and weaknesses are?
a) Amazon web service:
- Lower prices (in comparison)
- Better equipment and tools
- Huge storage capacity
b) Microsoft Azure:
- Easiest to use.
- Second best in performance.
- Almost best prices offered in the market.
c) IBM cloud:
- New useful features
- Profit maximizing
- Most used
Cloud Computing Deployment Models
Cloud deployment model refers to a ready made setup also called an environment that varies according to the people who own it, the size of the package and the level of access the program can offer to its users. There are four kinds of deployment models:
- Public Cloud: A public cloud is available for use to the general population and provides its services; storage, server and hardware to its users. The customers do not have any authority over the setup and the place where it is located however, it is cheap to use and in some cases even free. The reason behind this is that the cost involved is shared by many users and thus minimized to a negligible amount.
This cloud deployment model is more feasible for businesses that have large amounts of traffic and have to reach a huge target population.
- Private Cloud:
Almost the same setup as the public cloud, private cloud enables the customers to enjoy the same services just with a more secure and privatized environment. The set up is under the custody of renown corporate entities and allows only specific people and the users that have been authorized in exchange of a price to benefit from the services.With more control comes a great price, but niche businesses to whom privacy matters have the ideal computing solution in the private cloud.
- Hybrid Cloud: Is not a different cloud in itself, but a merger of a few public, private or public-private cloud setups that enable the users to have the security of the private cloud as well as the reach and encompass of the public cloud. With more control than the public cloud and more options relating to the increment of the capacity and customization of its setup, the hybrid cloud is known to be expensive and rarely used.
Good for well to do businesses who are frequently changing their environment to meet the customers need. It is also very beneficial for companies that deal with bulks of data and is capable of meeting the demand spikes.
- Community Cloud: The environment is again a merger, but not among a few firms but many firms like banks and trading companies. Strict in the policies on privacy, this cloud lets itself be controlled both internally or externally. It is also cost has prevented as the costs are usually covered by the firms involved.
Community cloud is best for inter firm organizations, joint stock companies and organizations demanding centralized control.
Cloud Systems Architecture models
There are four elements that join up to make the Cloud Systems Architecture model.
- Front end Platform: Or the end at which the customer exists, it contains of all the users on one cloud.
- Back end Platform: The backstage system such as the servers and the storage and consists of all the backup facilities on one cloud.
- Cloud based delivery: Is the same as Cloud computing service models ie: SaaS, IaaS and PaaS.
- Network: The system of the network through which data travels. Usually the internet or sometimes the intranet network. There are a few options for the users to decide if they want high bandwidth network or if they want on demand access alongside an agile network.
Cloud Computing Programs and Certifications and Security
Although there are many certificates that the program offers the main among them are CCSK- the cloud security alliance, Cloud U, Comp TIA, EMCCA.
The security comes down to the type of deployment model you use. Private networks are easier to control and thus are safer so are the community and Hybrid network as a lot of money is spent on them and the firms involved value privacy. The public network, however may not be as safe.
Featured Image Source: Pixabay